Feeling, healing & functioning

In the last few days I've begun to see where I've let fear & anxiety take hold of my life again.

Things that I normally breeze through, have left me overthinking, crippled with the mentality that if I don't get it right I'm a failure.  This has been as simple as using the eftpos machine, not getting all the tasks I set for myself at work or something like eating too much junk during the day.  As I've lived my life I've functioned to survive through distraction & numbing.  I'm that person that pretty much says yes to more things even if my plates about to topple.  It's rooted in the feelings of unworthiness from the trauma I've been through.  I know that these things aren't the sum of who I am.  I know that I'm a child of God so whatever has happened to me, God is using (as uncomfortable & painful it is) for my good.

This means taking the mask off my need to perform 100% all the time, honestly it's not even society's expectations of me.  It's my own.  It's not God's.  It's my own.  The habits & thoughts that have kept me safe thus far, but now I see prevent me from God's best for my life.  I literally have had moments lately that when I'm not performing and I don't feel like it's worth it continuing.  I know that this is a lie from the enemy that I keep reminding myself it is.  I know that I've been held captive so long by it.  I've sought to distract, numb myself so I don't feel the emotions that actually have to be released.  It's not that I know the good that it will do, it's just that I'm so scared of feeling the pain that I do because in my mind it's like my power is being taken from me all over again.  This is another lie.  What I'm seeing and what I need to be focussing on is that the more I actually am honest about myself I feel a whole lot better.  It actually helps it become easier when I do it times after this.

When I've had moments so many moments, recently where I've tried to mask the emotions I'm feeling by maintaining control on some level by performing.  I need to remind myself that even though fear and anxiety is what I'm feeling heaps of the time now, it's not who I am.  I'm not defined by these moments, performance or my own expectations but by what God says about me.

Even this post is annoying me as I try to make it sound succinct, concise & frame it well.  I just want to be able to write, feel, and keep learning without getting in my own way of expressing & being who I really am.

Currently I'm in the space where I am more rested in my mind at times, but still heaps of the time I am stressed that I'm not meeting my own expectations.  I'm not being my best self.  With this I'm learning that this is entirely okay, if anything it's who I need to be in order to become who God's calling me to be.  Healing as much as I try isn't a tidy process, tick the box kind of thing.  It interrupts my daily routine through overthinking, panic attacks & moments of paralysis when I'm overwhelmed.  It's stressful, painful & hard.  It's not the pretty picture I wish I could paint it to be.  BUT.

It's not the sum of who I am, just a part of the process I need to keep embracing to heal, function & finally when feeling my feelings is normal I'll be able to thrive.

Ending on a note, where I feel like most days now my own condemning voice screams at me BUT I know that as I keep being honest God will continue to bring beauty for ashes & turn this mourning into dancing. In His timing NOT my own.

God loves you in your ugly too.

xox

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When noone listens

Thank you Mum

A revelation of love