When you're the odd one out

Embracing our uniqueness as I've observed in my years in not something society encourages us to do.

We unconsciously are pulled towards things that call us to improve or change something about us, whether it's the latest pair of labelled shoes, a certain type of earring or the quickest weight loss fix.  Things that are disguised as things to improve ourselves, but really take away from the differences we have in us.

Don't get me wrong I'm not completely anti any of these things.  It's all about intention & what's being gained from it by doing it.  Some people may get surgery on acne scarring or their teeth fixed because of a lack of confidence.  In these instances I can see the benefit.  However if there's not increase in confidence after these things this is where you may realise you've got a problem.

If we're constantly striving, and wanting after things to improve ourselves not even to be a better more loving member of society but out of vanity, then we're not doing something right aye.  I say these things, because I struggle daily with the constant tension of trying to be my authentic self in a world that pressurises us to look instagram ready every. single. moment. of. our. lives.  Comparison is the drug that companies are selling and it's a means of money making.  It's not about us feeling better but about lining the pockets of businesses.

I had to get off social media for a while, and it's helped me heaps in my mental health.  I don't constantly scroll at what I haven't got while loathing what I do.  I have a better focus on growing and unlearning things inside of me that God has called me to.  Don't get me wrong even being off it I still compare myself to girls that are on TV, but I guess that comes down to something I'm working on unlearning.  It's also about being more critical & less accepting of what's fed to me.

Yesterday as I sat in church alone, I felt like a super loner.  I however had a laugh about it later on because even in those feelings, after being asked if I wanted to sit with a group of girls I said no I was okay.  Which I think is a big lesson for me. Internally I knew I was good, which is why I stayed on my own.  My flesh and fear of man had me in my feels which I'm glad I didn't give into.  This lesson I need to apply to the rest of my world, being the odd one alone at church, or anywhere is not a bad thing.  It's actually a really freeing thing.  Sitting in that awkward space & pressing in still, to follow my convictions not my flesh is what will keep me on this narrow path.

If you're like me & are feeling like you're always the odd one out, or different one embrace it & learn to love it.  It's definitely the way God's called us to live I've seen.  Get/keep friends that encourage you to be this way too! they're hard to find, but worth the hunt!

God loves you so big!

xoxo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When noone listens

Thank you Mum

A revelation of love