Comparison..that silent killer

Today again, I found myself looking at the lives of others and comparing myself to them.  I didn't feel any better everytime I scrolled down or looked at a profile but felt inadequate.  As I type I now remember that if God wanted us living like other's then He wouldn't have sent Jesus.  We're called to be like Him, not your friend, mum, boyfriend or cousin.

Stripped back there's noone like us and there will noone else like us to ever exist here on Earth again. Sure we share similarities but there's going to be no one in the world with the same DNA, gifts, talents or characteristics as us.  They are all gifts from God that we are meant to steward responsibly, all too often I fail at this, miserably.  Instead of doing what I think God wants me to do, I instead try and box myself into the world's best standard of myself.  It doesn't make me feel fulfilled, while I'm not there so can't really say LOL but I would imagine that it wouldn't make me more or less valuable then who I am today.  Sure I want to be thriving in my career, want to get married and have a family and then hopefully own my own house.  But when I think about the massive picture all of these things fade to the background.

I'm not meant to be here on Earth forever, Heaven is my home, so therefore striving to do well and best in where God has placed me is all that matters.  Not gaining money, status or fame.  I remember our pastor preaching a few sundays ago, he used the metaphor of us going into Heaven with a backpack.  It all gets burned, we leave everything we own here when we leave and when you think about it none of it is really ours anyways.  I guess the point that I'm trying to make is that I'm finally realizing how stupid we as humans can be.  We run after temporal things that aren't going to do anything for us in light of eternity.  What matters is being faithful and loving showing Jesus in your skin here in this short time on Earth.  Whether that be in a retail store like me it's being faithful there, or being the owner of your own company it's there.  There's no favorites in the Kingdom of God, we are going to be judged on what we as individuals do here on Earth not how we did compared to the person behind us or in front of us.

So I'm going to stop striving to fit into the world's standard for my life, yes I want to move on from Retail eventually, but if God wants me here then I'm going to be faithful, I want to get married but I'm determined to make the most of my single season and serve Him fully while I'm gifted with it, I want a family but I'm going to own my season of being child free!!

When I examine my life and rate it on the standards of the world I fail miserably, but when I think about my life and really consider it in light of eternity and what God's called me to do and be this season I get excited.  I really think I'm doing what God wants me here and I'm excited to continue to go where He wants me! I'm heading to Africa next year for a few months which I am excited about! Keep me in prayer guys cause my plans haven't been made for this yet and I don't know how I'm going to do it the great thing is, that I know God knows, that's all that matters at the end of the day!

God loves you big!

Kerri

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

When noone listens

Thank you Mum

A revelation of love